Sunday, July 25, 2010

Davis Memorial in Hiawatha, Kansas

The statues start off showing the different stage of their life.
The Davis's when they were young.

This picture is after Mrs. Davis had passed on.

The life size statues were hand crafted in Italy and started arriving in 1932.
Estimated total cost of the memorial was $200,000.00 which was a huge sum during the Great Depression. The marble canopy weighs 105,000 lbs more than 50 ton.
This draws 20-30,000 people year, so the city is profiting off of him. I bet he wouldn't like that. 
As you can see in the picture he had lost his hand to an infection.
He wasn't really liked, as the memorial grew he wouldn't give a dime to the community.
He claimed "They hate me, but it is my money and I will spend it the way I want to."
The locals claim that they suspect this was more as a slap in the face to his wife's heirs, because they got not nothing. He did give ten of thousands to the needy a few hundred at a time. But nothing to Hiawatha. 
This grumpy old man, would have not got along with Obozo and share the wealth.
I would have liked this old boy.

Well it is about sale time, got to go.

No comments: